Man 'Lucky To Be Alive' After Overdosing On Diet Pills

| by Jonathan Constante

A British man is lucky to be alive after reportedly overdosing on diet pills.

Lewis Brown, 25, became obsessed with working out at the age of 20, The Sun reported. With the help of steroids and a rigorous workout routine, he went from 140 pound to about 217 pounds.

In early 2015, Brown began taking DNP - dinitrophenol - diet pills in an attempt to lose extra fat and add more muscle. The controversial diet pill reportedly accelerates metabolism and causes the body’s temperature to rise.

The father-of-one started taking three or four pills of DNP a day. But on July 23, he took eight pills in the span of 12 hours.

“I was hoping the steroids would keep the muscles, but the tablets would strip the fat,” Brown told the Sun. “I took three in the morning and I didn't feel anything for a few hours, so stupidly I took another five.”

Brown’s temperature began rising to dangerous levels. He drove himself to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, where he learned that his body temperature had risen to 107 degrees Fahrenheit.

Doctors ordered Brown to guzzle a charcoal drink to soak up the toxic chemicals, but his body was already under attack. Doctors then put Brown in an induced coma and gave him ice baths. They warned his family to prepare for the worst.

“They said if I didn't drink it I could die,” Brown explained. “I remember drinking it, but that's the last thing I remember.

“Apparently after that I started to get really confused and they called my family.

“My body was just heating up and cooking from the inside out.

“I was put in the coma I think to stop my body moving and doing anything that would cause heat.

“The doctors told my family I could have just two or three hours to live, and that I wouldn't make it through the night.

“They all thought that was it.”

Brown spent three days in a coma and a week in intensive care. He underwent three surgeries to have the entire muscle at the front of his left leg removed. The muscle had been killed off when it was cooked by the drugs.

It took Brown four months to recover and get back to work. He is now warning others about the dangers of DNP pills.

“I was so out of it about getting bigger that I thought I was unstoppable,” Brown said. “I just wanted to be better than anyone else.

“I was a different person then -- everyone has said. All I was interested in was getting bigger and I just didn't know what I was doing.

“I'm just lucky that I'm still alive.

“I remember seeing a story about DNP and people who died and just thinking they weren't taking them right.

“But I have done it myself now and I can tell you, you just get caught up in it so quickly.”

“I've got this leg now, but it's just something I have to deal with,” Brown added. “Before I was a bit reclusive and everything annoyed me, and I didn't want to do anything.

“Now I'm getting back to my old self. My family are really relieved.

“The doctors have said I'm very lucky to be alive.

“I'm going to go back to the gym because I like to keep fit, but I'm never touching pills or steroids ever again.”

According to a study in the Journal of Medical Toxicity, DNP has been named the cause of death for more than 60 people, The Sun noted. Eloise Parry, 21, of Shrewsbury, died months earlier after ingesting eight DNP pills in one day, the Daily Mail reported.

Sources: The Sun, Daily Mail / Photo Credit: The Sun