A student at a Memphis, Tennessee high school was shocked to discover what appears to be a maggot in his lunch, and now, other students are responding.
An Instagram video shows a close up of the lunch that was served to students at Memphis’s Overton High School when suddenly, a maggot crawls out from underneath.
“It was just nasty, and we need better lunches because I was eating my chicken sandwich and a maggot popped out," said the unidentified student to WMC Action News.
Since the incident was reported and the Instagram video went viral, the school district released a statement to WMC saying that the other food was checked.
“A student reported that they found what appeared to be an insect on their meal,” reads the statement. “School and district staff have since conducted a thorough inspection of the cafeteria and kitchen to ensure that no other meals were contaminated. They found that no additional food items were compromised.”
Still, WMC reports that more students complained about maggots in their lunch, claiming that it wasn’t an isolated incident. The students have reportedly now drafted a petition they’re calling “Better Lunches, No Maggots” in the hopes that their school will take a look at the quality of the food they serve.
Sources: WMC Action News 5, Memphis City and Press