Health
Health

Boy Lands In Hospital Following Freak Chopstick Accident (Photos)

| by Jonathan Wolfe

A 12-year-old boy landed in the hospital with a pair of chopsticks wedged in his neck this week.

The boy, Jun Chia, had the chopsticks pierce his throat following a freak accident with someone on a scooter.

Chia was walking to school and eating when the collision happened. According to Metro, he collided with the motorist as he crossed the road. When he fell, his neck landed squarely on the chopsticks.

Surgeons say the chopsticks narrowly missed his trachea and major blood vessels.

“We did a CT scan which revealed that the chopsticks had missed the boy’s trachea and esophagus and key blood vessels,” doctor Zhou Jen said. “He was really very lucky, and we were then able to use surgery to remove the chopsticks.

Here are a few pictures of the gruesome injury:

chops

Pic shows: X-ray revealed that incredibly the chopsticks had course absolutely no damage to any key organs.nnHungry Chinese schoolboy Jun Chia survived after his chopsticks got stuck in his throat after an accident at his school in Wuhan city in central China's Hubei Province.nnThe youngster, aged 12,  had gone over the road from the school to buy a takeaway from a noodle stand and was rushing back to his classroom to eat the snack before it got cold.nnBut he was hit by the parent of one of his classmates who was riding an electric scooter in the playground too fast, fell over, and wedged the chopsticks in his neck.nnStaff at the school called an ambulance and the boy was taken to hospital where x-ray revealed that incredibly the chopsticks had course absolutely no damage to any key organs.nnMedic Zhou Jen told local media: "We did a CT scan was revealed that the chopsticks had missed the boys trachea  and oesophagus and not so any key blood vessels. He was really very lucky, and we were then able to use surgery to remove the chopsticks."nnHe added that because the chopsticks were not wooden but were made of steel there was also little risk of any complications from infection.nnThe 12-year-old boy who was still under observation is expected to be released back home by the end of the week.nn(ends)n

Chia is expected to be released from the hospital next week. Since the chopsticks are metal, doctors say there is little chance of him contracting an infection.

Source: Metro / Photo Credit: CEN