Get in Shape for Women polled 1000 members and 100 personal trainers to present the most effective qualities in a trainer and their clients. Following are their "Fitness Bill of Rights," universal expectations for both trainers and clients that make the biggest impact on a successful fitness partnership.
It's your right that your personal trainer:
- Be accountable – if you aren't showing up or falling behind with your commitment, your trainer should call you! They're your partner in this effort and should hold you accountable.
- Be the best – trainers need to update their skills regularly.
- Be flexible – everyone has different capabilities; trainers need to accommodate those differences.
- Be kind – you're there because you want to improve your life. Trainers should celebrate that.
- Be prompt – trainers should never be the last person to enter the room. They're leading this effort and should be there to greet you.
- Be creative – if something isn't working for you or you're losing interest, trainers need to change things up. Trainers must do everything they can to keep you motivated and committed.
- Be present – trainers should leave everything in their life at home. 100% of their attention should be on you.
- Be fair – trainers shouldn't focus on 'favorites.'
- Be fit – a healthy lifestyle is their biggest calling card. Trainers need to lead by example.
- Be fun – even if the workout isn't. Energy is everything.
It's a trainer's right to expect that you:
- Be prompt – when you're late, you start at a deficit and won't get the most of your experience.
- Be honest – with yourself and your trainer. If things are too tough or not right, speak up.
- Be committed – limit the excuses and hold yourself accountable to a commitment you can stick with.
- Be supportive – of yourself! Recognize that this is a process that will take time.
- Be brave – leave your insecurities, inhibitions and vanities at the door.
Get in Shape for Women’s franchise studios are throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri, California, Maryland, Florida, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and New Jersey. Small group personal training starts as low as $19 per session. For more, visit: GetInShapeForWomen.com.