NASCAR/Racing
NASCAR/Racing

Brian Vickers to Miss Rest of 2010 With Blood Clots

| by SportsbookGurus

NASCAR’s Brian Vickers was hospitalized for two nights last week due to chest pains during a visit to Washington D.C. Tests revealed that he had blood clots in his left leg and lungs which led to Vickers missing last week’s race at Dover. Vickers went back to North Carolina after he was released from the hospital on Friday night.

However, the chest pains began to occur once again and he went back to the hospital the following day. He spent another two nights in the hospital and the decision was made that he would miss the remainder of the season.

“This is what I love to do, this is my life,” Vickers said. “This is what I love to do, and I fully intend on doing it again.”

His doctor, Dr. Steven Limentani, could not clear him to return to the NASCAR circuit because of the dangers that could occur if he was injured in a crash. Vickers is being treated for pulmonary embolism with the blood thinner Coumadin. Vickers seemed to be upbeat despite not being able to complete the rest of the season as he spoke at his first public appearance since this all began last Wednesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“I can actually race on blood thinners, I just can’t crash,” he smiled. “So I told them if I promise I won’t crash, will they let me race?

“The answer was ‘No.’ In my situation, let’s just say the minimum was three months and the recommended is six months — for me to come back with eight races left in the year and to run the risk of having this happen again just to cut it short at three months, I don’t think the reward really outweighs the risk. We’re going to go the full stay here and be committed to resolving the issue for the rest of my life.”

Vickers, who drives for Red Bull Racing, ironically had to deal with another issue which results from an Australian study that suggested that drinking the energy drink Red Bull could have contributed to the blood clots. Lamentani quickly responded that this did not pertain to Vickers’ ordeal.

The 26-year old driver is coming off a season in which he made his first appearance in the Chase a year ago. Red Bull Racing general manager, Jay Frye, is still deciding how they will proceed with the rest of the season without Vickers. Casey Mears replaced him in the No. 83 Toyota last weekend and will also drive in tonight’s All-Star Race. Vickers did say that he would return in 2011.

“I do expect to be back in the car next season, and to win the Daytona 500,” he said. “I’m dealing with two emotions: I want nothing more than to be back in the race car. At the same time, it’s not my personality to focus on the negative. It’s not who I am. It’s not who I’ve always been. I’m going to make the most out of this.

“This is the cards I’ve been dealt and I can’t change that right now. I’m going to do everything I can to be positive through this.”

NASCAR’s Brian Vickers was hospitalized for two nights last week due to chest pains during a visit to Washington D.C. Tests revealed that he had blood clots in his left leg and lungs which led to Vickers missing last week’s race at Dover. Vickers went back to North Carolina after he was released from the hospital on Friday night.

However, the chest pains began to occur once again and he went back to the hospital the following day. He spent another two nights in the hospital and the decision was made that he would miss the remainder of the season.

“This is what I love to do, this is my life,” Vickers said. “This is what I love to do, and I fully intend on doing it again.”

His doctor, Dr. Steven Limentani, could not clear him to return to the NASCAR circuit because of the dangers that could occur if he was injured in a crash. Vickers is being treated for pulmonary embolism with the blood thinner Coumadin. Vickers seemed to be upbeat despite not being able to complete the rest of the season as he spoke at his first public appearance since this all began last Wednesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“I can actually race on blood thinners, I just can’t crash,” he smiled. “So I told them if I promise I won’t crash, will they let me race?

“The answer was ‘No.’ In my situation, let’s just say the minimum was three months and the recommended is six months — for me to come back with eight races left in the year and to run the risk of having this happen again just to cut it short at three months, I don’t think the reward really outweighs the risk. We’re going to go the full stay here and be committed to resolving the issue for the rest of my life.”

Vickers, who drives for Red Bull Racing, ironically had to deal with another issue which results from an Australian study that suggested that drinking the energy drink Red Bull could have contributed to the blood clots. Lamentani quickly responded that this did not pertain to Vickers’ ordeal.

The 26-year old driver is coming off a season in which he made his first appearance in the Chase a year ago. Red Bull Racing general manager, Jay Frye, is still deciding how they will proceed with the rest of the season without Vickers. Casey Mears replaced him in the No. 83 Toyota last weekend and will also drive in tonight’s All-Star Race. Vickers did say that he would return in 2011.

“I do expect to be back in the car next season, and to win the Daytona 500,” he said. “I’m dealing with two emotions: I want nothing more than to be back in the race car. At the same time, it’s not my personality to focus on the negative. It’s not who I am. It’s not who I’ve always been. I’m going to make the most out of this.

“This is the cards I’ve been dealt and I can’t change that right now. I’m going to do everything I can to be positive through this.”