The 2010 MLB Trade Deadline expires today at midnight. With only hours to go, the trading had become fast and furious.
Some of trades going down appear to have direct impact on the pennant races and others don't even involve pennant contenders or major leaguers.
Here's a summary of what's gone down this week. It should be interesting to see what happens today.
Wednesday July, 28th
- Dodgers Acquired OF Scott Podsednik from the Royals for C Lucas May and RHP Elisaul Pimentel.
Thursday, July 29th
- Orioles Traded 3B Miguel Tejada and cash to the Padres for RHP Wynn Pelzer.
- Marlins Traded 3B Jorge Cantu to the Rangers for RHP Evan Reed and RHP Omar Poveda.
- Astros Traded OF Anthony Gose to the Blue Jays for 1B Brett Wallace.
- Twins Acquired RHP Matt Capps and cash from the Nationals in exchange for C Wilson Ramos and LHP Joe Testa.
- Phillies Traded LHP J.A. Happ, OF Anthony Gose and SS Jonathan Villar to the Astros for RHP Roy Oswalt and cash considerations.
Friday, July 30th
- Diamondbacks Traded RHP Edwin Jackson to the White Sox for RHP Dan Hudson and LHP David Holmberg.
- Braves Traded OF Mitch Jones to the Pirates for cash.
- White Sox Acquired RHP Edwin Jackson from Arizona (NL) for RHP Daniel Hudson and LHP David Holmberg
- Indians Traded OF Austin Kearns to the Yankees in exchange for a player to be named or cash.
- Mets Traded 1B Mike Jacobs to the Blue Jays for a player to be named later.
- The Yankees and Astros agreed to a trade for Lance Berkman on Friday afternoon and Berkman gave his consent to waive the no-trade rights. Still, the deal can not be announced until Saturday because of Article 19, which was put in place as part of the Basic Agreement to protect players from signing away rights they did not know they had. The 24-hour window is designed to give a player a period of reflection after his consent. Technically, Berkman could wake up Saturday and change his mind. But that almost certainly will not happen. The Astros have agreed to pay $4 million of the $7.5 million Berkman is due between the rest of his salary this year and the buyout on his $15 million option for 2011. The Astros will get Triple-A reliever Mark Melancon and High-A infielder Jimmy Paredes.
For me, the only deal likely to happen that would have a real effect on the pennant races would be Adam Dunn going to the White Sox. I think the Yankees made a real mistake going after Berkman. They should have traded for Dunn. - Josh Bolan
Josh is a retired AP baseball reporter and now works as a freelance writer in Fresno California. Josh has been contributing to baseball publications as a writer since 1996.
Have a Fantasy Football or Rotisserie baseball question? Want to know who to pick up, who to activate and who the hot prospects are? Listen to our weekly Fantasy Baseball 411 Podcasts and let Dr. Roto guide your team to a league championship.
Check out these other stories.....