Skip to main content

Woman's Headache Turns Out To Be Spider Living In Ear (Video)

Woman's Headache Turns Out To Be Spider Living In Ear (Video) Promo Image

Doctors in India were shocked to discover the creepy culprit behind one woman's headache (video below).

The 49-year-old mother, Lekshmi L., told doctors she had fallen asleep on her veranda and woke up with pain in her right ear, Refinery29 reports.

By the time she reached the doctors, she was suffering from headaches and a tingling sensation inside of her head, the New York Post reports.

When doctors managed to examine her, little did they expect what was about to crawl out of her inner ear: a live spider.

"It is common to see emergency room visits due to the presence a foreign object in the ear and it takes a simple procedure to remove the object," explained Dr. Santosh Shivaswamy.

Image placeholder title

"It was a rare to see a live spider moving inside someone’s ear canal," the doctor added.

Lekshmi says she was terrified upon learning the news.

"I was terrified as I could feel the movement of a creature in my ear," she recalls.

"The acute earache followed by sharp pains suffocated me," added Lekshmi. "I couldn’t think of anything and was petrified when the doctor confirmed the presence of a spider in my ear."

Image placeholder title

News of the story horrified many.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore," commented one person on the New York Post's Facebook post.

"My worst nightmare," wrote another.

This is not the first time a creepy crawler has invaded a person's ear, forcing them to seek medical attention.

Annie Stoltie wrote a personal essay for Slate in 2014 in which she detailed her excruciatingly painful experience with a beetle while camping in the Adirondack Mountains.

"The first stab shocked me awake," she recalled of the moment the wood-boring beetle crawled inside of her ear. "I screamed. It happened again -- a knife in the side of my head, followed by a thundering crackling, as though a giant paper bag were being balled up inside my head."

"I’ve given birth twice; as a kid I snapped my ankle in half and had an ice-skate blade slice my chin open -- things that hurt a lot," she added. "But this pain was a full-body shock from my toes to my temples; with every stab I saw a flash of light."

Stoltie's family rushed her to a nearby hospital where doctors successfully extracted the bug, which left no lasting injury.

"What the otolaryngologists pulled from my ear was slightly larger than a Japanese beetle -- same shape, but dull brown, no metallic body shell." she remembered. "A scarab. I was horrified."

Sources: Refinery 29New York Post, New York Post/Facebook, Slate / Featured Image: Pixabay / Embedded Images: Cgros841/Wikimedia Commons, Michael Hawke MD/Wikimedia Commons

Popular Video