Skip to main content

Woman With Pacemaker Dies At Russian Airport After Passing Through Metal Detector

A tragic death took place at Russia’s Ulan-Ude Airport recently. Diana Tolstova, a 30-year-old woman who wore a pacemaker, died after walking through an airport metal detector.

Tolstova’s husband, Maxim Tolstova, tells Mirror Diana died because the metal detector caused her pacemaker to malfunction.

"We were standing at the security gates and I had given them papers showing Diana was on a pacemaker,” he said. "I don’t know what happened but she went through it anyway. When we got to the departure gate she began to feel dizzy and suddenly collapsed.”

Medics arrived a few moments later but reportedly took too long to identify what care Diana needed.

“It took a few minutes before hospital doctors arrived, and when they did they didn’t know what to do,” Maxim said. “They didn’t give her any first aid and they didn’t call an ambulance. My beautiful Diana died in my arms."

Ulan-Ude Airport officials are investigating the death. In America, the TSA’s new full-body scanners are reportedly safe for people with pacemakers. Metal detectors here, just like the ones at Ulan-Ude, are not, though. Authorities say Diana never should have walked through one.

“Security and airport personnel are given strict instructions about how to handle people with pacemakers and we warn them never to let a wearer go through a metal detector,” an airport spokesperson said. "In normal circumstances they see their papers and let them pass. In this case, the patient seems to either have forgotten about it, didn’t know or became confused by the airport security arrangements.”

Sources: Mirror, About Heart Disease / Photo Credit: Wikipedia Commons, Mirror/CEN


Popular Video