Woman Develops Infection, Sues Nail Salon (Photos)


A Virginia woman has filed a $1 million lawsuit against a nail salon after she developed a painful infection and scars following a seemingly normal pedicure.

Samantha Payne of Henrico, Virginia, went to Red Nails of T & I for a pedicure, which went as it should. However, when she left the salon, she had no idea what she was actually taking with her.

According to WWBT, Payne was diagnosed with a cutaneous mycobacterial infection -- a bacterial infection which attacks the skin -- and developed boils and lesions all over her legs. She was forced to have surgery to remove the boils.

Payne's attorney, Jamie Kessel, told WWBT that Payne had to have multiple surgeries to fully remove all of the boils, and that she was left with scars covering her legs.

Image placeholder title

All of this started for one surprising reason: the nail salon didn't properly clean the foot basin.

As the Independent Journal Review notes, podiatrist Robert Spalding revealed in 2014 that roughly 75 percent of all nail salons in the U.S. do not follow regulations for cleaning foot basins. To thoroughly clean a foot basin, it needs to be scrubbed and disinfected for a minimum of 10 to 20 minutes.

Payne decided to sue the nail salon in order to let others in the industry know that not meeting the state requirements for cleanliness can have serious consequences and will not be tolerated.

"I think it’s a wake-up call in the industry, just to be more aware that they need to follow their procedures," said Robert Reed, another of Payne's lawyers.

Payne's attorneys say the infection and the subsequent surgeries caused by the salon's negligence have changed their client's life forever.

Sources: WWBTIndependent Journal Review / Photo credit: WWBT

Popular Video