A Kentucky woman had to undergo surgery for a bacterial infection on her wrist that her doctor says was caused by a glittery hair tie she wore on her wrist, WKLY News Louisville reports (video below).
Audree Kopp of Louisville, Kentucky, said she was moving into her new home in early November when she noticed a large, growing red bump on her right wrist.
"It just kept getting bigger and redder and worse," Kopp told WKLY.
When the bump continued to grow after she was given antibiotics to treat it, Kopp went to the hospital for emergency surgery. At that point, doctors cut open the abscess on her wrist and drained the pus.
"They said I needed surgery, and thank God I caught it in time, or I could have had sepsis," Kopp told WKLY.
Dr. Amit Gupta, the surgeon at Norton Healthcare who treated Kopp, said the infection was caused by bacteria from a glittery hair tie the woman wore around her wrist. According to Gupta, the bacteria from the hair tie traveled under Kopp's skin through her pores and hair follicles, resulting in three different types of infection on her wrist.
Kopp told WKLY she was surprised to learn a hair tie had caused her infection.
"I didn't believe it at first, I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair ties," she said.
Kopp said she plans to avoid wearing the hair accessories around her wrist in the future, particularly ones that are difficult to keep clean.
She also expressed relief that her infection was discovered and treated before it could get worse.
"It could have been a whole different ballgame, once it gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma, your body shuts down it could have been way worse," she told WKLY.
The number of annual hospital admissions in the U.S. due to skin and soft tissue infections rose 29 percent between 2000 and 2004, according to data used in a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.