A woman reportedly contracted HIV after getting her nails done with shared manicure equipment.
According to reports, a 22-year-old woman was diagnosed with an advanced form of HIV due to what doctors say was exposure to manicure equipment used on somebody with the disease. Experts were baffled by the discovery, noting that there has been no previous speculation that this scenario could transmit the virus.
The case, which seems to be the first of its kind, was documented in a recent report for the AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses journal. While this newly discovered method of transmission has doctors baffled, they maintain that this shouldn’t cause people to be afraid, seeing as how it is such an incredibly rare occurrence.
“HIV is not transmitted by casual contact, such as sharing eating utensils, or drinking from the same water glass,” Dr. Brian Foley of the HIV Sequence Database at the Los Alamos National Library told the Daily Mail. “This transmission of HIV by shared manicure equipment is a very rare event that should serve not to make people fear HIV or contact with HIV-infected people. It should make people aware that sharing any utensils with possible blood-blood contact, such as needles used for drugs, tattoos, or acupuncture can result in transmission of viruses such as hepatitis C (HCV) and HIV. In addition, there are other common viruses and bacteria that can also be spread by sharing equipment without proper disinfection between users.”
Generally, HIV is transmitted from one person to another through bodily fluids, and in most cases, it’s transmitted during sexual contact. Since this latest discovery, doctors recommend that people be more aware of what they are sharing with other people.