A newlywed U.K. woman died as a result of a heart attack caused by eating contaminated fish during her honeymoon in Mexico.
Christine Fensome, 54, died Sept. 27, 10 days after marrying Andy Bennetts, 58, the Daily Mail reported.
Fensome, who had three children, was described as “fit and active” and a regular visitor to the gym.
Her death was caused by ciguatera, one of the most common contaminants found in reef fish.
“If anything can come from my sister's death it is raising awareness about eating fish abroad. Knowledge appears to be quite limited about ciguatera but it can be a hidden death sentence,” said James Bowyer, Fensome’s brother, according to the Mail.
“Due to global warming this toxin is becoming more prevalent and is found on algae on coral reefs in certain parts of the world - including the Gulf of Mexico,” he added.
He explained that some restaurants serve smaller fish in order to avoid the risk of ciguatera.
“This algae gets eaten by smaller fish and those fish get eaten by larger fish like groupers and barracudas. There are no known tests to detect it and there is no effective treatment for it. So there was nothing Christine could have really done,” he added.
Bennetts responded to a request for comment by saying he was still too sad about the experience to talk publicly.
“I want people to be aware of these dangers but most of all remember by sister as an amazing woman who overcame so much to find happiness again,” Bowyer said.
Fensome’s three adult children -- Brad, Richard and Hayley -- said Bennetts helped their mother to “love again” after the death of their father in 2004 in a hit-and-run accident.
Fensome’s mother, Sybil, said her daughter became ill rapidly.
“Andy says she woke up in the night with terrible sickness and [diarrhea] with funny sounds coming from her throat,” said Sybil.
“She just got worse so an ambulance took her to [the] hospital and within ten minutes of arriving the doctors came out and told Andy she had died,” she added.
Only days earlier, Christine posted pictures on Facebook of the couple’s honeymoon.
“Met some amazing people laughed so much I’m aching!” she wrote on Facebook, according to The Daily Telegraph.