A Texas woman who was battling cancer has died after she reportedly ate contaminated oysters.
Jane White Cunningham, 56, had been fighting leukemia since 2016 and wasn't eligible for life insurance, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Jane ate the oysters while on vacation with her husband, contracting an infection called vibriosis from a bacteria in the shellfish called vibrio. Vibrio is generally found in raw or undercooked seafood.
Jane's husband, David Cunningham, posted on Facebook to say that his wife was hospitalized with a severe infection.
"Just wanted to first all say thanks to everyone who has been praying for Jane White Cunningham and I," wrote David. "I felt now was as good a time as any to update everyone. Jane has a severe infection believe to have developed from raw oysters."
He went into more detail about his wife's medical emergency:
She is in ICU in Gulfport Mississippi hospital. She under went a second immediate surgery today to address her symptoms. There has been a lot of swelling in her extremities and a lot of pain. Today they had to amputate both legs and her left arm in an attempt to save her life as the infection was spreading rapidly.
At this time we are in ICU recovery waiting. We believe God is in control and his will is our will.
There has not been much progress since surgery but not much loss of ground either. The amount of love that has been expressed for Jane is unbelievable and greatly appreciated.
We continue to covet your prayers as we truly believe God can heal her if he chooses and that truly is our prayer. So again I say thanks to each of you that has shown us so much love.
The severity of the infection caused Jane to pass away a few days later.
Theresa Owens Swearingen, a family friend, posted to Facebook to let friends know how they could help Jane's family after her death.
"Facebook friends, our beloved Jane White Cunningham was ineligible for life insurance due to circumstances associated with her cancer since 2016," Swearingen wrote. "If you would like to help the family with burial and medical expenses in lieu of a floral memorial, a fund has been established at Community Bank in Buna, TX. The family extends their thanks for the continued outpouring of phone calls, prayers and concern during this very difficult time."
The CDC advises that oysters and shellfish should be cooked before eating to avoid vibriosis. The CDC also suggests that people with open wounds should avoid saltwater.