A Gillett, Wisconsin, high school school teacher went to the hospital after a group of students filled his soda with cleaning solution, police say.
On Oct. 20, the Gillett Secondary School teacher noticed a strange smell coming from his bottle after he had left it unattended, Fox 11 News reports.
“Something was off. He thought that maybe a foreign substance could have been put in it,” school superintendent Todd Carlson told Fox 11.
While the teacher had no symptoms, he decided to admit himself to the hospital as a precaution.
“We no longer have chalkboards, we have dry-erase markers and there is a cleaner that is sprayed on the board to clean off the residue,” Carlson added. “It was the cleaner that was sprayed into the bottle; not a great amount but enough to be concerned.”
It was later discovered that two teenagers, a 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl, had put the solution into the teacher’s drink. They reportedly told the police that they poured a small amount of the cleaning solution into the teacher's soda as a prank.
The teacher returned to school safely on Oct. 21.
According to Carlson, local law enforcement was involved directly following the incident. However, it’s unclear if the students will face charges. The school district is still working to determine the correct disciplinary action.
Photo Credit: Panoramio, 8 ABC Tulsa