As I’ve mentioned before, I have a serious weakness for yoga books. I mean, who doesn’t? Anyhow, in a moment of complete disclosure, here’s what I’ve added to my collection so far this year (in no particular order):
- Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings by A.G. Mohan
Learn more about A.G. Mohan at his website: Svastha Yoga and Ayurveda.
- Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations And Techniquesby Mark Stephens
Read the author’s bio.
Uncover a ton of teaching and practice pointers on Vinyasa Flow Yoga with Mark Stephens.
- The Yoga-Sutra Of Patanjali: A New Translation With Commentary (Shambhala Classics)by Chip Hartranft
Read Hartranft’s translation for free right here via the author’s On-line Companion. Excellent resource!
- The Inner Tradition Of Yoga: A Guide To Yoga Philosophy For The Contemporary Practitionerby Michael Stone
To learn more about the author, Michael Stone, visit his website: Centre of Gravity.
- Myths of The Asanas: The Ancient Origins of Yogaby Alanna Kaivalya, Arjuna van der Kooij
Visit the author’s website at JivaDiva.com.
- Yoga Beneath The Surface: An American Student And His Indian Teacher Discuss Yoga Philosophy And Practiceby Srivatsa Ramaswami, David Hurwitz
Learn more about Ramaswami at his website: Vinyasa Krama.
Read Ramaswami’s article, My Studies with Shri T. Krishnamacharya, published inNamarupa Magazine.
- Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practiceby Mark Singleton
Book review and some good comments on mayaland.
- The Subtle Body: The Story Of Yoga In Americaby Stefanie Syman
Book site: http://thesubtlebody.net/
Read an interview with author Stefanie Syman at YogaCityNYC.
Listen to author interview on On Point Radio.
- The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga’s Ethical Practiceby Deborah Adele
Book site: http://www.theyamasandniyamas.com/.
- Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Lifeby Judith Hanson Lasater
- Ashtanga Yoga: The Definitive Step-By-Step Guide To Dynamic Yogaby John C. Scott
Check out a short, but inspiring, clip of the author demonstrating and explaining Ashtanga yoga.
- Ashtanga Yoga: Practice And Philosophyby Gregor Maehle
Author’s website, 8limbs.com.
- Yoga And The Path Of The Urban Mysticby Darren Main
Visit Darren Main’s companion website to the book.
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga: A Practical Guide to Healing Body, Mind, and Spiritby Deepak Chopra
You gotta love Tara Stiles and Deepak Chopra’s “Authentic Yoga” iPhone/iPad app (I have both).
- The Athlete’s Pocket Guide to Yoga: 50 Routines for Flexibility, Balance, and Focusby Sage Rountree
Take a look at Sage’s ‘Hip Flexor and Hamstring Stretch Yoga Routine’ on Runner’s World.
Sage also has a great website and blog.
- The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy by Cyndi Dale
I have yet to spend much time in this book since I’m not getting it until Christmas, but it has great reviews on Amazon.
Visit the author’s website for additional exploration.
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali: Commentary on the Raja Yoga Sutrasby Sri Swami Satchidananda
Visit Sri Swami Satchidananda’s website.
- The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita – A Commentary for Modern Readersby Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Bhagavad Gita: A New Translation by Stephen Mitchell
- 27 Things to Know About Yoga by Victoria Klein
Check out Daily Cup of Yoga’s Review of 27 Things. This is really a great little yoga book!
You will also enjoy reading Victoria Klein’s great yoga blog.
- The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mindby Richard Freeman
Author’s website: Yoga Workshop.
I’m also a HUGE fan of Richard Freeman’s course on yoga philosophy, “The Yoga Matrix,” which is a smoking hot deal on Amazon.com if you download the MP3 version of the course.
I’m sure I left a few books out and there will probably be a few more before the end of the year. Discriminating reader that I am, I pretty much love them all! This was definitely a standout year for yoga publishing. Hopefully next year will continue the trend.
Feel free to leave a comment about your favorite yoga book from 2010 (or whenever).