Skip to main content

Man Says Whitening Strips Left Him With 'Pulsing Sac' In His Throat

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A British man was surprised when a teeth-whitening kit left him with a poisonous sac on his throat.

Jake Barrett, 22, bought Crest One Hour Express Strips with the hopes of turning his teeth white.

But 48 hours after he applied the strips to his teeth, he says he was left with a grape-sized pulsing sac of hydrogen peroxide in his throat instead.

“The doctor told me that the sac that had formed was the size of a grape,” said the Northamptonshire man. “And so delicate that any moment I could have leaked hydrogen peroxide down my throat.”

Image placeholder title

He continued, “If that had happened, I would have got peroxide poisoning and died.”

Barrett admitted himself into Kettering Hospital after days of leaving the sac to grow.

“I wasn’t sure what the liquid was, or why it had formed,” he said, “but I assumed I would be OK and that the penicillin I was taking for something else would treat that, too. But over the next few days, the bulge continued to grow until I could barely swallow.”

Image placeholder title

Eventually, surgeons removed the growth through a hole in Jake’s throat as well as one of his teeth.

“Now,” he says, “I feel lucky to be alive.”

After hearing about the incident, a representative for Procter & Gamble released a statement saying, “Nothing is more important to us than the well-being and safety of the people who use our products. We’re sorry to hear about Mr. Barrett’s experience and wish him a full recovery.”

It continued, “We are not familiar with this specific case and would very much like to talk to him, allowing us to investigate fully.”

The company went on to say its products comply with all legislation regarding peroxide levels.

“They are safe to use when applied as indicated on the packaging,” he said.

Source: Daily Mail, Metro / Photo credit: Metro


Popular Video