A Sub-Saharan woman thought to have appendicitis actually had a condom lodged inside her appendix.
The 26-year-old woman went to the hospital in Cameroon complaining of pain and tenderness on her right abdomen, the Daily Mail reported.
Scans indicated the woman’s abdomen was swollen with fluid, so doctors diagnosed her with appendicitis.
However, during emergency surgery, doctors encountered something that has never been reported in medical literature.
“We blindly dissected the appendix and found an incomplete piece of rubbery material which was consistent with a condom,” one of the doctors wrote in the Journal of Medical Case Reports.
When the woman woke up after surgery, she told doctors she had accidentally swallowed a condom two weeks prior to her hospitalization. She said the condom became loose while she was with her boyfriend, and accidentally slipped down her throat.
The woman added that she did not seek medical attention even after finding pieces of the condom in her feces five days after swallowing it. She did not believe her symptoms had anything to do with it.
Doctors were shocked at the discovery. They believe the condom was broken down into fragments as it traveled through her gastrointestinal tract, with some parts ending up lodged in her appendix.