Skip to main content

Baby Chokes After Dad Feeds Her Old Baby Food

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A 10-month-old baby almost choked to death after her father fed her snacks from a package that had been open too long.

“As I had just finished feeding my daughter I set some of these cheesies on her highchair tray as a dessert for finishing her snack,” worried dad Justin Morrice wrote on Facebook on Aug. 21. “[W]ell in less then 10 seconds I had turned to rinse her bowl in the sink...turned back and saw her gasping for air. She was trying to cry but no sound was coming out....I rushed over and picked her up and turned her over and slapped her back(as we were taught) for what seemed like forever I still could not hear anything. I flipped her over and her lips had turned blue and she was still trying to cry. I tried again to flip her facing down and slapping her back but nothing.”

Morrice then did the only thing he could think of: “I rammed my finger into her mouth and down her throat and was able to squish the cheesie enough that the next thing I heard was the sweetest sound in the world...her crying.”

His post went viral, and was shared more than 44,000 times in two weeks.

Morrice wrote that he fed his baby Gerber Lil' Crunchies, which are meant for babies who have started crawling. But he said the label, which warns consumers to eat the contents within five days of opening the container, was not clearly visible. And when he tried the contents of a fresh container of Lil' Crunchies, they were soft like a “foam ear plug,” despite the "crunchy" name.

But Morrice doesn't want to say it's Gerber's fault.

“Again this is not a post to degrade Gerber in anyway,” Morrice, who is from Canada, according to Us Magazine, wrote. “So many products post warning labels but unless u scan the product you can get 'lazy' as parents and it becomes routine.”

Sources: Justin Morrice/Facebook, Us Magazine / Photo credit: Mad World News/Facebook

Popular Video