Recent research reveals that signing with books:
1. Develops the imagination of both the child and the parent.
2. Promotes rich meaning to reading, making it a fun and inviting experience for those involved.
3. Associates reading with positive experiences and opportunities for interaction – get the whole family involved!
4. Motivates to develop literacy skills.
5. Makes the child an ACTIVE participant: the book is more interactive since the child is involved in the PROCESS of reading while signing along with the book.
6. Offers a view into a child’s mind and understanding of a child’s memory. Children sign what is important to them.
7. Reminds parents and teachers to introduce new signs and to reinforce familiar signs.
8. Creates opportunities to sign and talk about the alphabet.