A teenager in England found herself the victim of a severe allergic reaction after an eyebrow tinting left her with swelling and scarring on her face.
Polly Smith, 19, went to get an HD eyebrow treatment — a method of thickening the eyebrows. It involved a process of threading, dyeing and waxing her brows, according to Mirror.co.uk.
However, just hours after receiving the treatment, she found that her eyebrows were red and itchy.
When she awoke the next day, one of her eyes was swollen shut and she could barely open the other.
The teenage girl’s eyebrows had also turned yellow and began scabbing over with infection.
Medical professionals discovered that Smith had been suffering from a severe allergic reaction to the eyebrow dye. They told her that she could be scarred for life.
The hair of her brows began falling out weeks after the incident initially occurred.
“I’ve been emotionally disturbed by it,” Smith told Mirror.co.uk. “It was horrible. One day I would be okay and kind of be able to laugh about it but then I would break down in tears.
“I had to hide away from everyone. It totally scabbed up and pulled lots of hairs out. I had the treatment to get nice pretty eyebrows and now they are patchier than ever. I feel so disappointed.”
The Buckinghamshire girl hopes now that others will learn from her ordeal.
"I would say to people now to be careful with dye," she said.
According to Smith, she had a patch test to check for an allergic reaction two days before her appointment and nothing happened.
Photo Credit: SWNS via Mirror.co.uk, Michael Sandoval/Flickr, Wikipedia