Skip to main content

Teen Scalds Face While Trying To Clean Out Plastic Bottle With Boiling Water

Dion Chilton, 19, suffered third-degree burns on his face after he tried to clean out his plastic protein shake container using boiling water.

Chilton, who studies mathematics at the University of Kent in Canterbury, United Kingdom, wasn't aware his bottle would explode when he put the lid on.

“I poured water from the kettle in a small flask, put the lid on and where the water was boiling and there was too much steam it just exploded in my face,” he said.

“‘All my skin started peeling off my face. I could only see black and I was panicking that I had lost my eyesight.”

Chilton’s brother found him on the floor, writhing in pain. He called for help and Chilton was rushed to the William Harvey Hospital. Despite the pain, Chilton was lucky — he reportedly won’t have any permanent damage and will regain his eyesight soon. “‘I suppose my warning is just to not let me sterilize your flasks,” he said.

Check the manufacturer's instructions on the best way to clean and sanitize a protein shake bottle or cup.

Sources: Daily Mail, Metro

Image via Daily Mail


Popular Video