These are the steps that I recommend for any sex addict looking for sex addiction therapy:
1. Get involved in a healing/support/therapy type group. These groups are different than 12 step groups, they focus more on daily support, sharing your story, healing from past trauma. This group wouldn’t even have to be an exclusively sex addiction therapy group as long as it is a safe place for you to share you daily struggles and the pain from your past.
2. Get involved in a 12 step group. This could be Sexaholics Anonymous, Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous, Celebrate Recovery, or any variation, as long as you are involved and actively completing step work with a sponsor.
3. Get a therapist that can help drill down deep in issues that the above two groups are bringing out. Make sure your therapist understands sexual addiction. Many of them do not know what to do with a sex addict. Preferably a therapist who understands cognitive therapy.
These three elements are crucial for your recovery. If you try to do this by yourself, you will fail. Your sex addiction is a powerful force. It is more powerful than you are, or you wouldn’t be reading this right now looking for help. Just do it, you’ll find freedom.
You can also get on our group support line every Wednesday at 8:30 pm central. Details on the left menu bar of http://www.kicksexaddiction.com .
- Subscribe to the comments for this post?
- Share this on del.icio.us
- Share this on Facebook
- Post on Google Buzz
- Share this on LinkedIn
- Stumble upon something good? Share it on StumbleUpon
- Tweet This!
- Buzz up!