Skip to main content

6-Year-Old Burned When Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explodes

Spontaneous combustion wasn't on the feature list, but a 6-year-old buy found out the hard way that Samsung's recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones can explode.

The boy was watching a movie on the phone at home in Brooklyn, New York, on Sept. 10 when the phone burst into flames, according to the New York Post.

The boy's family called 911 and, after an ambulance rushed him to a nearby hospital, doctors treated the boy for burns to his body. The injuries weren't life-threatening and the boy was released that night -- but not without some mental trauma.

“He is home now,” Linda Lewis, the child's grandmother, told the New York Post. “He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.”

The Brooklyn boy isn't alone -- Samsung has recalled all 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 units after it became clear they were prone to overheating and exploding or catching fire. The company says it's logged at least 35 reports of the Note's lithium ion batteries catching fire, according to WVTV.

Explosions or fire can occur in any mode, even while the phone is charging, so the company has warned users to power down their devices immediately and contact customer service for a replacement. The Federal Aviation Administration has also banned air passengers from bringing the phones onto planes or packing them in luggage for fear that they could explode mid-flight.

The problems with the phone -- and the costly recall -- sent Samsung shares plummeting on Sept. 12. As of noon, share prices had dropped about 7 percent. Analysts told CNN Money that in addition to the cost of the recall and replacement phones, Samsung had suffered a serious blow to its reputation -- and it couldn't have come at a worst time as Apple starts shipping its new iPhone 7.

A Galaxy Note 7 was also responsible for a fire that destroyed a Jeep in early September, according to WVTV. A St. Petersburg man told the station he left his phone charging in the center console of his Jeep Grand Cherokee while he and his wife were unloading a desk they'd bought from a yard sale. The family dog's barks alerted them to something wrong, and when they looked at the car they saw it was already in flames.

Image placeholder title

No one was injured in that incident, and a Samsung spokesman said the company was looking into reimbursing the Florida man for his phone and his vehicle, which was damaged beyond repair.

Image placeholder title

Sources: New York Post, WTVT, CNN Money / Photo credit: WTVT, Samsung via iPhone Droid

Popular Video