Skip to main content

Pregnant Mother Who Was Told She Had Kidney Stones Loses Premature Daughter

On July 7, Davina Neild was taken to Whiston Hospital near Liverpool, England, after she began experiencing pains. At the time, Davina was pregnant with her fifth child, but physicians told her that she was most likely experiencing kidney stones.

Within hours of being discharged from the hospital, Davina collapsed. She was taken to Arrowe Park’s neonatal unit, where she gave birth to her daughter Isla Dolly Neild on July 8, Liverpool Echo reported. 

The baby was 15 weeks early and weighed just 1 pound 8 ounces. She survived for five days, just long enough for her parents to get a birth certificate and hold her for a few hours.

Davina believes her early labor was ignored and that something could have been done to help if she had received the correct medical treatment. “If they would have listened to me and believed I was in labor they could have taken precautionary measures. But I was totally ignored and fobbed off with thrush cream and kidney stones,” she said.

The hospital still stands by their course of action. “The Trust offers its sincere condolences to Mrs. Neild and her family for their sad loss. After a thorough consultant led review, the Trust is confident that Mrs. Neild’s care was timely and appropriate for her initial presenting condition,” a representative for Whiston Hospital said.

“Mrs. Neild underwent appropriate examinations to establish that she was not in labor. She was discharged home with her full agreement and given advice to return if her condition changed.

“When Mrs. Neild returned there were still no signs of labor. However, due to Mrs Neild’s symptoms worsening and the fact that premature labor can be unpredictable a higher degree of caution was taken. For this reason Mrs. Neild was transferred to Arrowe Park where neonatal cots are provided.”

Davina and her husband, Christian, are now working to show their support for all of the medical professionals who help premature babies by raising money for an incubator at Arrowe Park, where Isla was born, lived and died. The family wrote on their crowd-funding page that they hoped to raise money to “save another family from going (through) all we have been (through).” In the last 12 days, they have exceeded the fundraising goal.

Sources: GoFundMe, Liverpool Echo / Image via Davina Neild/Facebook


Popular Video