When an Oklahoma City Police Officer bit down into his Taco Bell Quesadilla, he realized immediately that something was not right. He pushed the cheesy bite around his mouth, tasting it, trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Then it hit him. He realized that the quesadilla was spicy. He hadn’t ordered it spicy. But that wasn’t all – and when the police officer realized that the special ingredients were put in there to cause severe burns to his throat, he took legal action.
As it turned out, the Oklahoma City Taco Bell poisoned the police officer’s food with cologne and spicy chipotle sauce. While the chipotle sauce is something that many customers would like to have in their steak quesadillas, Officer Shawn Bryne and his wife Amanda knew something was wrong when Shawn tasted something else in the food item. It was cologne.
Now Officer Bryne upon the urgings of his wife has filed a lawsuit against Taco Bell, seeking just $75,000 in damages for poisoning his order. The police officer claimed that his tainted food forced him out of work for a week.
So what exactly happened? According to Tulsa World, Officer Bryne was off duty when he pulled up in a Taco Bell location on W Hefner and No Rockwell. It was nighttime in February, and he wanted something to satisfy his late-night craving. He had just finished organizing a charity event for his church, at which they did not provide any food, so he was hungry. He felt that Taco Bell was the perfect fast food item for him.
When Bryne got to the drive-thru, he ordered the steak quesadilla, the food item that would soon send him into sick leave and take him away from the job.
“After the person at the window took his order, he went over to two men employees and said something to them. They all looked over at him and started laughing,” the police officer claims in his lawsuit. “A few minutes later, the order taker brought his order and said he was sorry for the delay.”
The lawsuit was officially filed on March 31 at a federal court in Oklahoma City. Both Shawn and Amanda showed up to file it.
When Shawn took a few bites of his food, he said his “tongue, throat and the roof of his mouth began burning.”
He tried to power through the pain and eventually went to sleep. But when Shawn woke up the next morning, he realized he was not capable of going to work because his throat was covered with “burned spots.”
The doctor told him that it was most definitely associated with the tainted quesadilla.
Shawn Byrnes managed to take 127 hours of sick time from the police department because of his bad meal. He also developed appendicitis not long after eating the food and needed surgery. Doctors claim the spicy quesadilla made appendicitis worse.
One Taco Bell worker admitted to using chipotle instead of quesadilla sauce.
What do you think about this situation?