Mother Hangs Herself Three Weeks After Having Abortion


A U.K. mother committed suicide to Ed Sheeran’s song "Small Bump" after having an abortion, according to a recent inquest into her death.

Jade Rees, 21, had the abortion in October 2015, the Daily Mail reported. Three weeks later, she hung herself in her room.

Rees left handwritten notes to her parents and 2-year-old son. She explained that she was having difficulty coming to terms with the abortion.

At the time of suicide, the mother-of-one was reportedly listening to "Small Bump," an Ed Sheeran song about a miscarriage.

Rees had reportedly been struggling with eating disorders and battling depression since she was 14 years old. She was prescribed antidepressants after being diagnosed with anorexia but was taken off the medicine when she became pregnant with her first son in 2013.

Rees separated from her boyfriend four months into her first pregnancy. She met her most recent boyfriend in 2015 and became pregnant again. They dated for five months before breaking up.

Image placeholder title

Shortly after the break-up, Rees got an abortion. She learned that her ex-boyfriend moved on with another woman and became distraught.

Rees overdosed on prescription and over-the-counter pills twice in 48 hours. Her father took her to Royal Oldham Hospital, where she was treated for two days and referred to psychiatric services.

Dr. Easodhavidhya Elangomo told the inquest about his appointment with Rees, according to the Daily Mail:

My first impression of Jade was that she was dressed casually and was very well kempt. She was upset and angry, emotions she directed at me, because she had endured such a long wait to see me. I apologized for the inconvenience and told her I had been very busy in the clinic. She was fiddling on her phone a lot and clearly in no mood to engage with me. She complained that the room was too hot. She told me she just wanted to go home to her son, who she clearly loved dearly.

She told me about the abortion she had just weeks earlier, and how the split from her ex-partner had been very distressing for her. She told me she believed he had a new girlfriend and was struggling to come to terms with it. Though she was upset, she did not have any ongoing thoughts of suicide or self-harm. She denied any sense of hopelessness, and was adamant she eventually wanted to return to college to complete her A-Levels.

She denied having any past medical history or any form of psychotic illness. When I asked her about this, she said, ‘For God's sake, I have a son to look after.’ She identified her son as a protective factor and kept insisting that she wanted to leave so that she could get home and put him to bed. She then stated she did not wish to answer any further questions without her father by her side.

Image placeholder title

 Elangomo continued:

Though I felt she was no risk to herself or others, due to the two overdoses she had taken so close together, I was concerned by her impulsivity. When her father arrived, he also voiced his concerns about her impulsive nature. I referred her to mental health services, and she promised to attend the appointment. I gave her the appointment card in the presence of her father, and he agreed to keep an eye on her.

She told me she regretted taking the overdose, and promised to keep herself safe. She was on no antidepressants at the time of our meeting that I was aware of, and I did not prescribe her any.

Rees’s body was discovered on Nov. 4, 2015, by her mother. She had attended a bonfire the night before and seemed very upset when she returned.

“Due to the circumstances and the contents of her note, I am satisfied that Jade did intend the consequence of her actions,” assistant coroner Matthew Cox said. “I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to Mr. Rees and to the rest of Jade's family at this very difficult and distressing time.”

Image placeholder title

Sources: Daily Mail, The Sun / Photo Credit: Jade Rees via Daily Mail, Cavendish via Daily Mirror

Popular Video