Another death by the Ebola virus was confirmed Jan. 15 in Sierra Leone. The report of the death comes hours after the Word Health Organization (WHO) declared the region free of the virus.
The person who died in Sierra Leone earlier in the week of Jan. 11 tested positive for Ebola, an Ebola test center spokesperson told BBC.
The African region formerly plagued by Ebola was declared free of the disease on Jan.14.
According to Francis Langoba Kelly, a spokesperson for the Office of National Security in Sierra Leone, the Ebola victim has been identified as a 22-year old woman from northern Sierra Leone, The Washington Post reports.
Health officials in Sierra Leone are seeking out anyone who the victim had contact with recently, and quarantines are a possibility.
Kelly urged the affected region to remain calm and take preventative measures against contracting the disease.
“Our level of preparedness and response capabilities are very high and there is not cause for concern," she said, according to The Post. "We encourage the public to continue to practice the hygiene regulations which were in force during the period while Ebola was raging and the emergency regulations [were] still in force.”
The WHO has stated that more instances of the disease are expected in West Africa.
Over 11,000 people have died from Ebola in the West African region comprising Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Nigeria since December 2013, BBC notes.