Skip to main content

Mother Warns Others After Four-Year-Old Son Dies From Swallowing Cinnamon

A four-year-old boy from Kentucky died after ingesting cinnamon powder he found in his kitchen.

Matthew Rader climbed onto a counter at his mother's apartment on June 3. He found a container of cinnamon, ate some and began choking before he collapsed.

His mother Brianna Rader said that she turned her back for less than a minute and when she returned, she found him in a seizure-like state. She immediately brought him to the Baptist Health Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead an hour and a half later.

"He was completely healthy - no problems," said Brianna. "He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed."

The coroner ruled the death accidental and said that when cinnamon is inhaled, it can cause asphyxiation. Cinnamon was found in Matthew's lungs.

Brianna took to Facebook to warn people of the dangers of the 'Cinnamon Challenge.'

The Cinnamon Challenge, a prank that went viral on social media sites in 2011, involves swallowing a spoonful of cinnamon without drinking any liquids.

Doctors have warned of the dangers of the prank. It can result in cinnamon particles being inhaled into the lungs, possibly causing inflammation and choking.

Brianna wrote in a Facebook post that she is grateful Matthew's story has spread in hopes that it can save a child's life.

"Matty man's story made the Lex 18 news and now CNN wants to share it nationwide," she wrote in the post. "That helps ease my breaking heart just a little to think that just maybe my baby's story can save even just one child's life. 

"My Matty was definitely loved by many and he loved everyone. Fly high baby boy we love you more than words could ever explain. And we miss you so much it hurts. R.I.P my sweet little angel."

Matthew was laid to rest on June 9.

Sources: Daily MailInquisitr / Photo credit: Daily Mail


Popular Video