Skip to main content

Mother Turns To Social Media To Warn Parents After Her 5-Month-Old Son Dies In His Sleep (Video)

A Michigan mother turned to social media to warn other parents after her baby likely died because he was sleeping in her bed (video below).

Everett James was 5 months old when his father came home to find him unresponsive next to his sleeping mother, Angela.

The parents frantically called 911 and unsuccessfully attempted CPR. On May 16, Everett died.

According to a study featured on the "Today Show," nearly half of all parents admit to sleeping with their baby and 11 percent of parents said they do it regularly.

Doctors at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan, say that co-sleeping deaths happen every year.

“Taking that risk and saying ‘maybe it won’t happen tonight’ — it’s just not worth that risk,” Pediatrician in Chief at Helen DeVos Dr. Bill Bush, told WOOD TV. 

Bush says doctors warn new mothers who give birth at the hospital about the baby’s sleeping conditions, but that it’s part of a lot of information given to the mothers before they are sent home.

“This will be the hardest thing for me to write in my life,” Angela wrote in a Facebook post. “But even if it saves one life, it is worth it…”

Grand Rapids police investigated the death to confirm their suspicions that Everett’s death was caused by co-sleeping. 

Angela hopes the story hits home for other parents and that they think twice before risking their child’s life.

“As much as you love to snuggle and cuddle your little one, please resist the temptation to do so in bed,” Angela wrote on Facebook. “No matter how difficult it may seem at the time, put them to sleep in their own crib and avoid the greatest pain that one can experience in life — the pain that we are now experiencing. Your child’s life is too valuable.”

The parents hope to raise awareness of the issue on social media by using the hashtag #EverettJamesAwareness.

Sources: WOOD TVYouTube / Photo credit: Screenshot via YouTube

Popular Video