Skip to main content

Mother Claims She's Been Handed A 'Death Sentence' After Doctors Failed To Diagnose Cancer

A mother claims she has now been handed a “death sentence” because her medical office failed to diagnose her cancer sooner, even as she visited the office 25 times in the past year.

Kim Major, 48, says she only has six months to live because it took a year-long delay to diagnose her lung cancer.

Major claims she was turned away multiple times from her medical office and that they told her she had a virus. During one visit, she was reportedly advised to see a psychiatrist for her “anxiety,” reports Mirror.

The first time Major visited the doctor’s office was in September 2013, after suffering from recurring headaches, dizziness, coughing, chest and neck pain.

The U.K. woman went back 24 times but was never given cancer tests.

Major eventually had X-rays and blood tests performed after she had trouble breathing, and they discovered she had terminal lung cancer.

It is now unlikely she will spend another Christmas with her children, Roxanne, 31, and Lewis, 13, because the tumors have spread from her lungs to her brain and liver.

Major is not giving up without a fight.

“Each day I’m grateful to wake up. My son thinks chemotherapy is going to mend me,” Major said. “He said to me, ‘You’re going to fight aren’t you?’ And I said, ‘Of course I am.’ But I know the ­medicine might let me down. It’s heartbreaking to tell your children you might not be here next year. I feel like I’ve been given a death sentence.”

Major feels that she has been let down by those she is supposed to trust to provide her care.

“I’m 48, I pay my taxes and I go to work. I just feel totally ­abandoned by the people I should have been able to trust to care for me. It’s just so awful for the family, it’s ripped our hearts out.

“I could not believe what I was hearing when I was told I had lung cancer but to make matters worse it had been left undiagnosed for so long it had spread to my lymph nodes and to my brain.

“I do not know how long I have left but my condition is ­deteriorating and I am worried for my son who will be left without his mum. I am struggling to come to terms with my diagnosis and what the future has in store for me.”

Major has filed a lawsuit against the medical office, Fitznells Manor Surgery, claiming medical negligence.

“Kim’s diagnosis has come as a complete shock to her and her family and they are desperately seeking answers as to why her condition was not picked up at an earlier point,” said Major’s lawyer, Richard Kayser, of Irwin Mitchell Solicitors.

Fitznell Manor Surgery issued a response to Major’s situation: “The surgery was saddened to hear of this case and our thoughts go to the family. Due to patient confidentiality, we are unable to comment further."

Source: Mirror / Photo Source: Mirror


Popular Video