Monster Beverage is claiming their drinks did not cause the death of a teenage girl, citing that there is no definitive proof.
A lawyer for the company said there is not any scientific evidence proving Anais Fournier died from consuming two 24-ounce Monster drinks in a 24 hour period.
Fournier allegedly had other preexisting conditions that increased the likelihood of her developing a sudden cardiac arrhythmia.
“There was no medical, scientific or factual evidence to support the medical examiner’s conclusion of caffeine toxicity,” a lawyer said.
Monster also claims Fournier frequently drank coffee and was a regular Starbucks customer.
Kevin Goldberg is representing her parents, who believe the drink is directly responsible for her death.
NBC News states she had a condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and the consumption of the drink made her problem worse.
“The fact that she went into cardiac arrest just hours after consuming the second 24-ounce Monster energy drink is evidence that she died of caffeine toxicity,” Goldberg said.
A blood test was never performed on the body of the 14-year-old girl, so there is no evidence confirming she died of a caffeine overdose.
Goldberg is arguing that the product labeling is misleading, as Monster targets teens with its ad campaign. Monster said its target demographic is 18 to 34 years old.
Monster is still claiming its energy drinks are safe, stressing that a 24-ounce can has less caffeine than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. They said they will begin disclosing the caffeine levels on drink labels.
Margaret Hamburg, FDA Commissioner, said they will look into the connection between caffeine and health. She said they will investigate a wide range of products, including Monster Beverage and its competitors.
Monster is also being investigated for five other deaths, but the FDA has said the reports do not prove the drinks caused them.