Man's Stomach Burned In Hospital After Anesthetic Catches Fire

A U.K. man was permanently scarred after his stomach caught on fire during an operation.

The 43-year-old was burned from an alcohol-based body sterilizer, which spontaneously burst into flames while he was undergoing surgery, according to the Daily Mail.

Paul Hill was reportedly under a general anesthetic for a serious surgery that involved removing part of his digestive system.

Hill told his wife afterwards what occurred. 42-year-old Tracy Hill thought it was just the drugs talking.

“He said to me ‘I have been set on fire.’ He was high on morphine so I didn’t believe him at first,” she said. “But a nurse in the room said he was being serious. It was scary.”

“I didn’t even know it was possible. When they told me I didn’t know what to think,” said the patient and father-of-four.

The surgery, which took place at Stockton’s University Hospital of North Tees, was to remove polyps from Hill’s colon, which can develop into colon cancer. Hill suffers from a condition called adenomatous polyposis, which he was diagnosed with in November 2012.

The couple's 11-year-old son McKenzie has been diagnosed with the same congenital condition. It worries him to see what happened to his father, who now has scars on the right side of the stomach and must have his bandages changed by a nurse every day.

“He has seen me go through it all - all the surgeries and now this,” said Hill.

The hospital says it is investigating the incident.

'”We take incidents like this extremely seriously. A thorough investigation into what happened and what can be put in place to prevent this happening again has almost been concluded,” said a hospital spokesperson.

Sources: Daily Mail


Popular Video