When a 911 dispatcher-in-training picked up the phone, little did he realize the nightmare that was about to unfold.
As Chris Scott, an Iraq War veteran, spoke to the woman on the line, he realized she was not just anybody -- it was his wife, Janna, Little Things reports.
What she was calling about was every parent's nightmare: his baby, Jacob, was choking on plastic and had stopped breathing.
“My heart was pounding,” Chris told The Associated Press. “My hands were a little bit shaky.”
"I never thought it was going to happen," he said. "I was always, in the back of my mind, a little bit afraid that would happen, that my family would need help and how would I handle it."
It's a situation that would intimidate anybody, particularly a trainee who also happened to be the parent of the child in need of help.
Perhaps it was due to his experiences as a Marine, but while many would find themselves paralyzed with fear, Chris kept calm.
The father sent an ambulance to his house and also dictated instructions over the phone to his wife on how to save their choking baby.
Eventually, Jacob coughed up the piece of plastic.
"It was really good for me to have him on the line," said Janna. "You know, I trust him and know he knows what he's doing."
Emergency responders say Chris had done such an excellent job, there was no need to even take the baby to the hospital.
Tammy Clark, Chris' training officer, did not know the baby was Chris' when she praised him for his good work.
"I said, 'Chris, you just did an amazing job; you just saved that kid’s life,'" Clark said. "And he looked at me a little rattled and said, 'That was my baby.'"
Clark said she could not believe what she was hearing. She gave Christ the rest of the day off so he could be with his family.
“Nobody could have done a better job than him,” Clark added.