Man's Body Infected with Tapeworm After Eating Sashimi

Publish date:
Social count:

Sushi lovers, beware.

A Chinese man’s entire body has been infected with Tapeworm parasites after eating sashimi, or raw slices of fish.

The man went to the doctor complaining of a stomach ache and itchy skin; scans revealed that the tapeworm had spread throughout his entire body.

He was treated at the Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China. Doctors believe that some of the sashimi the man ate was contaminated.

As Dr. Yin of Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital told that’, eating uncooked food that has been contaminated with tapeworms’ eggs could eventually cause cysticercosis, a condition caused when adult worms enter a person’s bloodstream.

Image placeholder title

(via MailOnline)

MailOnline reports that this type of infection is life-threatening once it reaches the brain.

While tapeworm infections occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium, which is found in freshwater fish such as salmon, marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm.

Research indicates that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a variety of parasitic infections.

Image placeholder title

Sources: MailOnline, Metro

Photo Sources: DailyMail, Metro


Popular Video