Skip to main content

Man Dies After Mistakenly Using Stain Remover To Make Coffee

An 83-year-old man from Hartlepool, UK, died after accidentally using stain remover instead of coffee to make drinks for himself and his 79-year-old wife.

John Guttridge and his wife Anne were rushed to hospital when the incident occurred on July 15. John had previously been diagnosed with dementia and had been referred to a memory clinic, reported.

The incident began when Anne, a retired doctor, went upstairs to order groceries online.

“He called up to say he was going to make us a coffee,” she said, according to Daily Mail.

She returned to find her husband coughing. Assuming John had choked on a biscuit, she explained the moment she realized what had actually happened.

“I put some washing on and the Persil Bio and Vanish Oxi-Action was on the bench,” she added.

She then took a sip of her coffee and tasted chemicals.

“I gave him glasses of water and milk. At first it did not seem serious,” Anne said, according to

But as both their conditions began to deteriorate, she called for an ambulance.

They were taken to hospital, but John died the following morning. His death was attributed to chemical gastritis resulting from the ingestion of sodium percarbonate and carbonate.

A legal investigation in to John’s death concluded that there was nothing suspicious about it, and a verdict of misadventure was issued.

“I am satisfied Mr Guttridge intended to make the drink however he obviously didn't intend the outcome,” said Claire Bailey, acting senior coroner for Teeside.

Anne described the incident as a “dreadful experience.”

“He was just trying to help. Usually I made the coffee,” she added.

Sources: Daily Mail, New York Daily News, photo credit: New York Daily News


Popular Video