Skip to main content

21-Year-Old Dies Of Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis After Eating Bar Containing Nuts

U.K. woman Maisie Durant, a 21-year-old recent college graduate, died of a rare condition called exercise-induced anaphylaxis. Durant was taking medication to treat her nut allergy. However, in rare cases exercise can make the allergy symptoms worse.

During a recent trip to the gym, Durant ate a cereal bar that contained nuts. She began experiencing allergy symptoms and was brought to a hospital. She died a few hours later with her father Jonathan by her side.

Exercise-induced anaphylaxis leads to faster processing of food which can lead to serious allergy problems. Symptoms include shortness of breath, hives, nausea, dizziness, swelling, cramps and diarrhea.

Durant was a registered organ donor. Three patients have received life-changing surgeries, including two kidney transplants, with the help of Durant. Her father told Daily Mail, “That gives you a great indication of what Maisie was like.”

Image placeholder title

Her father started a fund for the Anaphylaxis Campaign. He has raised more than $72,000 to raise awareness about the rare condition.

“What I’d like to see is everybody with allergies be fully equipped and fully educated," he said.

A spokesperson for the Anaphylaxis Campaign said, “When someone goes into anaphylactic shock, we recommend they lay down, put their feet up, and don’t walk around or do any type of movement, because this pumps the blood around the body.”

“We want to help protect other people from this," Mr. Durant added.

Sources: LiftBump, Daily Mail / Photo Source: PA Real Life Features, WikiCommons


Popular Video