26 Children Hospitalized After Cay Care Center Served Water Contaminated with Cleaning Agent

Police report that more than two dozen children at a New Jersey day care center have been hospitalized after they were served water from a pitcher that had been inadvertently contaminated by a cleaning agent.

The water may have been mixed with bleach, police say; the pitcher was supposed to be used to clean art materials.

The incident occurred at The Growing Tree II Learning Center on Fifth Street in Jersey City shortly before 11 a.m. on Thursday. As described on the day care’s website, the center provides care services for children between 6 weeks and 4 years old.

Three adults were transported to the hospital along with the 26 children.

Although none of the adults or children brought to the hospital are reported to be showing symptoms of illness, they are still being evaluated.

By early afternoon, most of the children had been released to their parents.

Sources: NBC New York, WPDH

Photo Sources: NBC New York, WNCN


Popular Video