Skip to main content

'It Was So Scary': 1.1-Pound Baby Miraculously Survives Premature Birth (Photos)

A British baby born three months premature by cesarean section is alive and well after doctors thought she wouldn’t survive longer than an hour.

Pixie Griffiths-Grant was born pink, tiny and birdlike, the Daily Mail reported. At 1.1 pounds, she weighed less than a bag of sugar and was smaller than her mother’s hand.

“As soon as she was born, they gave her a little hat and put her straight into the bag to keep her body temperature up,” Sharon Grant, Pixie’s mother, told the Daily Mail. “After that they wrapped her in bubble wrap and got her straight to intensive care.”

Image placeholder title

The first-time mother, from Cornwall, England, was told her baby had stopped growing in the womb at 20 weeks. On May 11, only 28 weeks into her pregnancy, she was told she needed to have her baby that day.

“My placenta and umbilical cord weren't feeding her properly,” Grant, 37, said. “I was in and out of hospital for eight weeks being scanned constantly to see if she had grown, but she put on about 20 grams in those eight weeks.

“It was so scary having to get her checked all the time and I had all the doctors telling me all this bad news. It was awful."

Grant said doctors wanted to get the baby to a certain weight before performing a C-section, but she didn't grow to that size.

Grant gave birth to Pixie the following day, 10 weeks before her Aug. 2 due date. Pixie’s father, Edward Griffiths, was by Grant's side.

“There was no way she would have survived normal birth so they had to do a C-section,” Grant said. “They thought they wouldn't be able to find her in my body and would have to do two cuts to try and get her, but luckily they only had to do one.

“The moment she was born they put her in a Tesco [grocery store] sandwich bag to keep her warm because she was so tiny and carried her off to intensive care."

Pixie stayed in an incubator for three months after she was born. Her parents were not allowed to cuddle her for 18 days.

“It was amazing she survived, but it was truly traumatic,” Grant said. “She really did live hour by hour for about three weeks.”

Grant said during those three months in the hospital, Pixie suffered from a stomach infection, a urine infection and about 10 blood transfusions. She also had to have a lumber puncture.

“She kept being sick when they gave her milk and every time she was handled she would lose weight," Grant said.

Two months passed and Pixie began showing signs of strength. Now, at 5 months old, she weighs 7.5 pounds -- the same weight as a newborn -- and is breathing on her own. The parents were finally allowed to take their baby home.

“When we went in the front door Pixie came alive,” Grant recalled. “She was looking all over the place and could see what was happening.

“We have been in and out of hospital a lot since she got home, and she can't be around other children or ill people because if she gets a cold she will end up on oxygen again."

Grant noted that Pixie is doing well and looks healthy.

The new parents now look forward to a bright future with their miracle baby Pixie.

“It’s so lovely to have her home; there's been endless cuddles and lots of people eager to see her,” Grant added. “It's amazing.”

Sources: Daily Mail, The Telegraph / Photo credit: Family photo via The Telegraph


Popular Video