Skip to main content

Hit-And-Run Victim Gets Call From Suspect

The victim of a hit-and-run, who is expected to have one of his legs amputated, received a call from a stranger who admitted to being the driver and apologized for leaving him on the road with critical injuries.

Paul Adams, 34, was hit by a car in Vancouver, Washington, on Feb. 19, and left with serious injuries to his legs, back and ribs. The driver fled the scene, and no arrest has been made in the case, KATU reports.

A passerby found Adams by the side of the road after the crash, according to KOIN. The victim was rushed to a hospital to treat his injuries. Shortly after the incident, Adams' mother, Nancy Peterson expressed how upset she was.

"I am not eating," Peterson said. "I cry. That's my first-born in [the hospital], my son. The person who did this is still out there running free."

After he finally awoke from his coma, Adams began to communicate with his parents again.

"It's hard on him, it just depends on the moment he's in," Peterson said of her son since he woke up. "In one moment, he's really optimistic and other times he just breaks down in tears and can't stop sobbing. He continuously says that his life is over."

The family learned in mid-March Adams would need to have one of his legs amputated.

"This leg will be getting cut off in a couple days because it’s been a month and I can’t move nothing," said Adams. "I can't feel nothing below the knee."

"The doctors took the wrap off to see how the skin was and it's rough. They said they are taking his left leg," said Peterson.

Police say they have identified the suspect and found his car, but are waiting for the man to contact them so they can arrest him for the hit and run.

In the meantime, the suspect has reportedly called Adams to admit to the crime and apologize. Clark County Police have not confirmed that the suspect in the case and the man who called Adams are the same, though they said they are confident an arrest will be made soon.

"He called my son while he was in the hospital, and he admitted to doing it," said Peterson. "He told him that he was sorry, and that he hasn't been able to sleep or eat ... he was worried my son was going to die."

Although Adams said that he has forgiven the man who left him on the road, Peterson says she has had a harder time finding forgiveness.

"Oh, I hate him. I hate him," she said. "The fact he left him there, he left him there to die. And then he called to say he was sorry? No, no."

Adams said he's trying to remain hopeful for his future.

"I'm sure I'll manage," said Adams. "I'm always going to ... Life goes on. I'm still alive."

Sources: KATU via KVAL, KOIN (2) / Photo credit: Vancouver Police Department via KOIN

Popular Video