That’s right, you hear it here first. This Labor Day, make it a happy AND healthy one! And let me let you in on a little secret…it’s not as hard as it sounds. I have put together a list of some of the easiest ways to sneak in those fabulous nutrients into your extraordinary Labor Day menu, without taking away any flavor!
- Instead of regular hot dog and burger buns, try whole wheat buns for that added fiber to help clear up your digestive system.
- Instead of slabbing a scoopful of mayonnaise, try sliced avocados for that creamy texture packed with magnesium which has multiple benefits.
- Instead of worrying about fitting in a workout the next day, try working out first thing in the morning of the 6th. Working out in the morning actually helps you eat healthier throughout the day and gives your metabolism a head start to burn off those calories you’re about to consume.
- Instead of regular beer, try sticking to light beer which only has 100 calories compared to regular which has >150 calories.
- Instead of a margarita, try a white wine spritzer (4oz. white wine topped with club soda) which can save you up to 470 calories!
- Instead of eating as much as you possibly can in a short period of time, try snacking before the event and stop eating when you are feeling satisfied.
What do you do to try to stay healthy for long weekends? Celebrate by sharing!
Research assistance provided by Monica Lobo, RD.