A 10-year-old girl from Texas had to have surgery after she swallowed part of a fidget spinner, a new type of toy that has become a fad.
Kelly Rose Joniec said her daughter, Britton, almost died after choking on a part from one of the toys, the Daily Mail reports. The girl was trying to clean the propeller-shaped device with her mouth when it went into her throat, Kelly Rose said.
"On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving," wrote the mom in a Facebook post. "Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth -- she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over."
"She pointed to her her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance," Kelly Rose wrote. "She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it."
The mother rushed her daughter to an urgent care medical center, where doctors discovered the metal ring, about the size of a quarter, was trapped in Britton's throat. Kelly Rose was told her daughter would have to get surgery to remove the part.
After "multiple, very stressful" attempts to give Britton an IV, the young girl successfully had her surgery, the mother said.
"Fortunately, we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while," Kelly Rose said. "Not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia."
"Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings," the mom warned. "The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."
Fidget spinners, a newly popular toy, have been reported to help children suffering from ADHD and autism to focus their nervous energy. The toys are held between two fingers, and spin with metal rings when they're flicked.
The toys come in a number of colors, and cost only around $3 to $4, leading many children to carry multiple spinners. Fidget spinners currently hold the top 16 spots on Amazon's toy rankings, taking up 43 of the top 50 spots, according to CNN.
Some schools have banned the spinners, fearing they're disruptive, while others have said they are helpful for students who have trouble concentrating.