Girl Dies Of Cancer Days After Strep Throat Diagnosis (Photo)

A family from Memphis, Tennessee, is mourning the loss of their 10-year-old daughter, who died days after her cancer was misdiagnosed as strep throat.

N'Khemya King passed away on March 15, just two days after being told that the stomach pain she had been experiencing was not strep throat but was in fact a symptom of leukemia.

The 10-year-old's mother is still trying to come to terms with what happened.

"I can't believe that my child was as happy and as healthy as she was and as active as she was, and was just up and moving and talking and now she's not here at all," she told WMC. "I was doing the home remedies with the soup, the Pepto, the Pedialite, things like that, hoping I was flushing it out … thinking it was a virus."

According to a GoFundMe page that has been set up to help cover funeral expenses, N'Khemya first visited the ER on March 13. There she was told by doctors that her stomach ache and fever were the result of strep throat. She was given antibiotics and discharged from the hospital.

"Within 24 hours, she should be back eating and back to herself," N'Khemya's mother said the doctor told her. "That didn't happen."

Hours later, N'Khemya was rushed back to the hospital after her stomach pain worsened. This time doctors ran some tests and determined that she was suffering from leukemia, which they said may have gone undetected since birth. Her brain was swelling and she required emergency brain surgery.

"When I heard the word leukemia I was like, 'We don't have cancer. What are you talking about?'" N'Khemya's grandmother, Trayce Tate-Campbell, told WMC. "I'm like, 'Wait a minute. You said the baby had strep throat. What's going on?'"

After relieving the pressure on her brain, doctors started N'Khemya on a course of chemotherapy. They gave her a 60 percent chance of survival. But two days later she was dead.

Image placeholder title

"I really don't think about it in depth because if I do, then I am going to think about how and why and I don't want to," her mother said. "Just a lot of unanswered questions, just a lot of things I couldn't get told and I couldn't prepare for this."

The GoFundMe page was created on March 18 and has since raised over $5,000.

"As we are grieving, we’re also faced with the expense of the final arrangements, as there was no insurance," the page reads. "We’re not asking for monsoons of financial support because even droplets of water can cause a flood. Every cent adds up and all funds will help send a beautiful baby girl home to the Lord."

Sources: WMC, GoFundMe / Photo credit: Shuneka Cole/GoFundMe, WMC

Popular Video