A 10-year-old girl tried to replicate a magic trick made famous by illusionist Criss Angel, but she ended up swallowing a quarter instead.

Morgan Renear of Rancho Cucamonga, California, filmed herself attempting to mimic Angel's trick, which requires the magician to place two quarters in their mouth, according to KTLA. Renear accidentally swallowed one of the coins, prompting a terrified reaction.

"I'm going to die," Morgan can be heard whispering in her recorded video as she gasps for air and attempts to regurgitate the coin. Morgan was taken to a local hospital, where doctors located the coin via X-ray.

Doctors said she was lucky the coin did not block her windpipe, and they expect the coin to travel through her  intestines and pass within a few days.

"One of the main things we look for is to make sure that it's not blocking the upper part of the windpipes or the lower part of the esophagus," said the clinic doctor who examined Morgan.

"It was probably like the fifth time I've done it but the first time anything has ever gone wrong," Morgan told KTLA. "I've never done anything serious like that.

"I was like, 'I'm going to die,'" she recalled. "I was freaking out. What do I do?

"I'm going to not watch magic videos and then do them, I'm just going to watch them," the girl concluded.

According to KTBS, a 10-month-old child from Sabine County, Texas, died after swallowing a penny. The child reportedly had other unrelated health problems, such as asthma and a previous bout with pneumonia. When doctors examined the child, they found the obstruction in his airway but were unable to save him.

"We don't want to alarm parents," Dr. Sara O'Hara, a Duke University radiologist, told the Chicago Tribune. "Most coins a child swallows will pass through without causing any harm, but we wanted pediatricians and emergency room physicians to be aware of this problem." O'Hara was referring to the amount of copper and zinc contained in pennies, which can cause severe stomach problems.

A 1984 piece from the The New York Times reported that doctors met with nearly 8,000 people annually who suffered injuries from toothpicks, some caused by swallowing the little wooden stick or from punctures through either the eye or ear. 

''Toothpicks are just one small part of the injury problem in the country,'' wrote CDC researcher Lawrence D. Budnick in his report. ''But over all, injuries are the leading cause of death in persons 1 to 24 years old."

The report also found three men had died as a result of swallowing toothpicks, two whose bowels were punctured and a third who suffocated.

Sources: KTLA, KTBS, Chicago Tribune, The New York Times / Photo credit: AKS.9955/Wikimedia Commons

Popular Video