It’s summertime, and in my family, a fun weekend jaunt might include a lazy day of berry picking (and eating!). This juicy member of the berry family and the rose family is a tart pick that is especially abundant from the months of June through October.
Fun Facts about the “Other” Berry
- Not your average berry. Raspberries are packed with antioxidants. Studies have shown that their antioxidant levels may be as much as 10 times those of strawberries!
- Color your plate. Not just red, these little fruits can even come in shades such as purple and yellow!
- Nutritional benefits. Raspberries are plentiful in potassium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C.
- Nutritional plus. They are actually a wonderful source of dietary fiber. Half a pound of raspberries contains about 20 grams of fiber.
- Low cals. According to the USDA, a cup of raspberries contains about 60 calories.
- Freeze away. Raspberries can be frozen without losing a lot of their nutritional content, although their Vitamin C levels may be halved.
- Delicious cure. Raspberries are believed to alleviate many common annoying ailments such as inflammation, allergies, pain, and failing eyesight.
Assistance provided by Pam Majumdar