Skip to main content

Florida Child Poisoned After Eating Laundry Detergent Pod (Video)

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A child in Tampa, Florida, found himself poisoned after he mistook a laundry detergent pod for candy.

Klinda Mann began to be very concerned when her 2-year-old son, Jacquez, started violently throwing up.

The incident occurred as she was doing laundry and she realized that her boy had bitten into one of the Gain Detergent laundry pods she was using.

 “It looks like candy, kids think it’s candy,” Mann told WFLA News (video below). “He began throwing up immediately!”

Mann said she immediately dialed the Poison Control Center at Tampa General Hospital.

“He was throwing up, wouldn’t eat or drink,” she said. “It was bad.”

It was her quick thinking that might have saved her son’s life.

“I tried so hard to stay calm, so my baby would remain calm,” the mother said. “It was nerve wracking.”

She added, “They helped saved him, talked me through it on the phone."

Her son recovered a day later and is now reportedly doing just fine.

According to managers at the Poison Control Center, parents call in regarding children being poisoned by detergent every day.

Consumer Reports recently released a warning to parents with kids under 6 years old to not purchase the laundry detergent pods after a recent study revealed 17,000 cases of poisoning have surfaced in the last two years that are related to the pods.

Dr. Alfred Aleguas, director of the Poison Control Center, also warned parents to be wary of the packets.

“I like how easy it is to use them, but if I had children under five, you have to keep an eye on them, like this mother did,” he told WFLA.

“This happens fast, children move fast," Aleguas added. "The detergent can get in their lungs and kill them. You’ve always got to keep your eyes on them.”

Source: Consumer Reports, WFLA

Photo Credit: WFLA Screenshot, Mike Mozart/Flickr


Popular Video