Oklahoma Boy, 10, Swallows Eight Magnets (Video)

Doctors thought that a 10-year-old Oklahoma boy was simply suffering from a stomach flu until an X-ray revealed something much more surprising (video below).

Shane and Peggy Westphal said their son Brady recently fell ill with what seemed to be a stomach flu, KFOR reports. After seeing doctors, Brady’s illness was still believed to be a stomach flu. However, after days of the symptoms persisting, Brady made a confession, which was quickly confirmed via X-ray -- he had swallowed eight magnets.

According to doctors, the swallowed magnets caused serious damage in Brady’s stomach, intestines and abdomen.

“These magnets, especially if swallowed at different times, the magnets don't move all the way through the intestinal tact," Dr. John Grunow told KFOR. "And, then, they pinch together one to another, and the tissue in between gets pinched, and the blood supply gets lost. The tissue ultimately dies."

Surprisingly, Brady’s case is not the only one of its kind. Doctors at Children’s Hospital at OU Medical Center, where Brady was treated, said this is the second case of swallowed magnets they have seen within just a few weeks. Surgeons nationwide have also reported having to remove magnets from children’s insides more and more in recent years.

“The reality is they can be deadly,” Dr. Grunow said. “I’m not trying to overstate it. They can be deadly.”

Doctors warn that parents should be aware if their children have swallowed magnets as the symptoms can be easily mistaken as a virus, as Brady’s case has proven.

“I took a moment for myself,“ Shane said. “That’s when I broke down and cried, because I was glad that everything was okay. It could have been a whole lot worse for him.”

Sources: KFOR via AOLKFOR via YouTube / Photo Credit: KFOR via YouTube

Popular Video