Family Unhappy With Restaurant After Allergic Reaction

A family in Taylor, Michigan, is unhappy with how a restaurant responded after a young boy had an allergic reaction to his food.

Kelly Chapman was eating hot dogs with her son Jack when the incident happened, according to WJBK.

“I'm allergic to eggs, wheat and coconut,” Jack told WJBK afterwards.

Jack is also allergic to milk, and the hot dog he chose contained nonfat dry milk.

Although Kelly mentioned Jack’s allergies, a waitress told her there would be no problem with the hot dog and fries.

“They said everything is fine, hot dogs are safe, French fries are safe - they're just potatoes and basically vegetable oil, what they cook it in,” Kelly said.

It didn’t take long for this to prove incorrect.

“He started to eat it and barely ate any of it,” Kelly added. “By the end of the meal we were getting ready to get up and pay the check and he just started vomiting.”

Jack’s voice became raspy and within five minutes of getting home he was itching his face and his eyes were puffy.

Jack had suffered an anaphylactic reaction and he only survived because he was given an injection with an EpiPen.

He had to spend five hours in a hospital that night.

“It was terrifying, very scary,” Kelly said.

But that wasn’t the end of the story. Kelly posted a negative review of the restaurant, pointing out the mistake that had been made.

“If you know you have problems then why don't you just eat at home where you know exactly what the ingredients are - instead of trying to go to a restaurant (and all restaurants) in the first place,” a response from the restaurant’s account said. “What happened here could happen at any restaurant - thank you very much for your review!”

The restaurant’s owner said the answer was not written by an employee, but someone who had access to the page because he set it up.

“We were made to feel, at least I personally felt, that we were a nuisance, that it was annoying, and that it was my fault that I even took him outside my house to eat,” Kelly added.

The owner added that in 13 years of running the restaurant, this was the first time someone had suffered an allergic reaction.

Anaphylaxis can prove fatal, as shown by a recent article by CBC on the first anniversary of the death of a student in Ontario, Canada. Andrea Mariano drank a smoothie containing substances she was allergic to and suffered a fatal anaphylactic shock.

Sources: WJBK, CBC / Photo credit: TheCulinaryGeek/Flickr

Popular Video