Andrew Hall says he lost seven teeth after his e-cigarette exploded on Jan. 14 while he was in his bathroom in Pocatello, Idaho.
While being treated in an ICU unit for his injuries on Jan. 15, Hall posted some pictures of the aftermath on Facebook, along with his recollection of what went wrong:
I Vape (I know, terrible and uncool) but I no longer do and I hope to possible sway those that do to maybe reevaluate or find other methods of smoking. I've been doing this for about a year now and assure you I did not do anything I wasn't supposed to (battery was in right, always had the shop put it together when I first bought it and add things and maintenance it the right way while taking their advice) but it exploded in my face.
I've lost at least 7 teeth, 2nd degree burns to face and neck and have been pulling chunks of plastic, teeth and foreign objects from mouth, throat and lips. I was lucky and [there] was a huge amount of damage to the room in my house I was in as well. Please feel free to share my story and take care. Thank you again friends, work and family that have reached out to offer help, I greatly appreciate it!
After Hall's pictures and story went viral, he posted an update on Jan. 16:
So haven't made it back home yet, still in the hospital but for those requesting the mod and pictures here you are. Tell me for those that still think it's fake I would love to get your professional take now. Also I apologize I had a good amount of pain killers in me the last two days.
I had my twisted rda on at the time and was using my brown LG HG2s g for my battery, just pulled off charger and these pics are from my bathroom where it exploded. The torch marks are on the wall and roof are continuations from my face. Also the explosion downward broke my sink.
I'm interested in the same comments from certain people to see what kind words you have to say now. Thanks again for your patience and again, not against vaping 100%, just letting you know this is clearly a possibility. Thank you!
Gizmodo notes that the battery that Hall described is similar to the battery that powered Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 cell phones, some of which exploded.