Skip to main content

'It's A Very Dangerous Thing': Doctors Warn About Using Wire Grill Brushes

  • Author:
  • Updated:

Doctors warn of a possible danger that may be posed to grill and BBQ lovers all over the country: the bristles from the wire grill brush could end up in your food. 

That’s exactly what happened to a woman in Wallingford, Connecticut. Cheryl Harrison, 52, who found herself in the hospital after she ate a burger with a wire bristle in it.

“It was just a pain that I have never felt before,” Harrison told WFSB. “I felt my stomach was bloated … extremely tender to touch. You could not even push on anything … just hurt my stomach.”

It turned out that she had eaten a wire bristle from the brush her husband had been using to clean the grill. It had fallen off and lodged itself in her burger.

“It must have been positioned in that burger just perfect. I ingested it and swallowed it,” she said

Just under 48 hours after eating it, she was in severe pain and was sent to the hospital.

“I have never heard of anything like this happening to anyone,” she said. “I was totally shocked when it happened to me.”

Dr. Aziz Benbrahim performed the surgery on Harrison two weeks ago to remove the wire from her intestine. According to him, the incident is not as rare as some might believe.

“At that time it makes a hole in the intestine and that’s really very life threatening,” the doctor said. “We had a patient have it for two weeks and he had severe complications and a bigger surgery.”

Harrison hopes that people will be more aware when eating their burgers and hot dogs to avoid possibly swallowing a wire bristle.

“I just think everyone should be aware because it’s a very dangerous thing and it does happen to people,” she said.

Grill lovers can alternatively use a brush without wire bristles, a ball of aluminum foil, or simply burn off the food pieces, according to FOX.

Source: FoxCT, Fox2

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons,


Popular Video