Skip to main content

Coroner Warns About Co-Sleeping After U.K. Infant Dies

A coroner has recently warned parents against sleeping aside their babies after a U.K. baby suffocated in the crook of her father’s arm.

Nicola Souster, 40, was in bed with her child alongside one of her other children in their Wellingborough, England home on Jan. 22, BBC reports. The 11-week-old infant, Darcie-Rose Souster, died from asphyxiation after being cradled in her father's arm.

The baby passed officially at Northampton General Hospital. Justin Souster, the 42-year-old father, brought her to the hospital after waking up to find her “floppy” and unresponsive.

Dr. Roger Malcomson, a consultant pediatric pathologist, carried out a study of the post-mortem examination and found that the baby’s lungs were filled with blood. Malcomson confirmed that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the baby’s death.

"Given the [baby's] head was on top of the [father's] arm, with the neck flexed in that position the cause of death could be given as positional asphyxiation in the context of co-sleeping,” Malcomson told the coroner and the parents, according to BBC.

There was recently an inquest into the baby's death, where the coroner, Anne Pember, reportedly accepted the death as positional asphyxiation in the context of co-sleeping.

Pember, of Northampton, England, also warned parents against sleeping with their children in the same bed. 

This isn't the first time a coroner has warned about co-sleeping following an infant's death.

In 2014, a coroner from northern Indiana warned parents not to sleep with their young children after a couple awoke to find their 4-month-old baby boy, who had been placed between them in bed, had died, the Associated Press reported at the time.

Sources: BBC, AP via WTHR

Photo Credit: Seth Baur/Flickr, Fabio Bruna/Flickr


Popular Video